Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

air suspension problem

MilkoLS400

I will do that again tomorrow. measure your A15,, =My A12.  i did take a better look at my car. the H15 connector in your car is not there in mine. Before I thought I had found it but i had already measured all the circuits on the ECU connector itself.  Now I tried to test things again but this time your way on the H15..  the test connector.. But as you can see its not the same in my car.. . I seem to have a non standard car.. in the manual online my 1999 model should not have ODBII and also now I find out my suspension test connector is missing...  Do I have some kind of revised car or did idiots work on it?? Or were it genius people who worked on it?? LOL  Tomorrow Ill post my findings on all measurements on A15.  

IMG_20170102_150458.jpg

Ok. Due to the weather I did my research today. On A15(A12 in my manual). The smallest connector of the suspension ECU.. The High switch measurements were off. on pin 5 I did het 0 and 12 V in stead of 0 and ca 5 V. And on Pin 7 I got 0.66V in both positions.. I could not perform pin 6 and 11 check due to the missing TDCL connector.

The strange thing is that I earlyer measured the Hight switch circuit already using the online manual. http://lexus-doc.ru/ileaf/lex99rm/lex99rms/99lexrm/99ls400r/di/emas1/ci86.pdf

According to this manual 12V is the proper voltage in the Norm position so the high switch circuit checked out fine..

I Think its an other difference in design between new and old cars..  So only the Pin 7 measurements are still questionable..  I have not found the test procedure for this pin in my manual yet.   Where does pin 7 come from??

Hi Milko

Found Information for this: VH 7 C  (C=A12)

H12-pin7.JPG

I found this: http://alflash.com.ua/Sus/EWD224U_95.pdf

As your Air sospension was working for a short time, check Groundpoints as driver1313 suggested.

Groundpoints.JPG

This information is as well from this pdf.

I think you can test pin 6 and 11

DLC1-Connector.JPG

Can it be that, this looks like your diag connector  (OBD) instead of the round one.

Hi Tom.. No.. DLC1 and DLC2 are both not available in my car.. Only a ODBII connector.. I only checked the ground contacts to the ECU.. They all check out.. You mean I should check ground connections in other places as well?? 

I remember now. Pin 7 is only the light..  So it makes sens this one doesn't measure 12V when its on High Since nothing happens.. I really wonder what should trigger the ECU to start working. The one day the old ecu worked something must have been triggered.. What I wonder.. On the ECU there are 3 connectors.. i tested and measured the smallest one and most things like height sensor on the biggest connector.  i know the height sensor doesn't get 5V,  But I cant find out why.. Why Why......

What is the middle connector for? A16 I believe in your schematics..Where does it go to? What inputs are there??

Hi Milko

Input to the Airsuspension ECU are:

(1) STEERING SENSOR SIGNAL (A12 / Pin 8 / Pin 9 )
ROTATION ANGLE OF THE STEERING WHEEL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL SS1 AND SS2 OF AIR SUSPENSION ECU.
(2) THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL (A13 - 1)
THE THROTTLE VALVE OPENING ANGLE IS DETECTED AND THE SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL L1 OF THE AIR SUSPENSION ECU
VIA THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE.
(3) VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL (A12 Pin 2 )
THE VEHICLE SPEED IS DETECTED BY VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR AND THE SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL SPD OF THE AIR
SUSPENSION ECU.
(4) STOP LIGHT SW SIGNAL (A12 - 1)
THE BRAKE OPERATION SIGNAL IS DETECTED AND A SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL STP OF AIR SUSPENSION ECU.
(5) HEIGHT CONTROL SW SIGNAL (A12 - 5)
WHETHER THE HEIGHT CONTROL SW IS IN NORMAL OR HIGH MODE IS DETECTED AND THE SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINAL HSW
OF THE AIR SUSPENSION ECU.
(6) HEIGHT CONTROL SENSOR SIGNAL (  A13 2/3/10/11)
THE VEHICLE HEIGHT AND THE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF THE ROAD SURFACE ARE DETECTED BY THE HEIGHT CONTROL SENSOR
AND THE SIGNAL IS INPUT TO TERMINALS SHFL, SHFR, SHRL AND SHRR OF THE AIR SUSPENSION ECU.
(7) DOOR COURTESY SW SIGNAL (A12 Pin 10 )
WHETHER THE DOOR IS OPEN OR CLOSED IS DETECTED AND INPUT TO THE AIR SUSPENSION ECU.

Middle Connector A13? most of it is for Suspension Control Actuator.+

A13.JPG

Check the Input Signals and

Fuses ( I know it sounds strange) Remove one by one and Messure with an Ohm-Meter (not only visual) ALL Fuses and plase back. It takes 20 minutes but take this time.

I have a new problem now.. My car was just running fine.. Now suddenly my starter engine doesnt stop spinning.. even when I take out the Key its still spinning.. I realize this has nothing to do with the air suspension but if anyone knows what it can be please let me know.. I really need help on this.. Im kind of desperate. I need to use the car this evening to get to belgium.. I was starting and trying to measure some stuff. Apparently due to starting my car alot and stopping again the starter relai is stuck inside. I now probably need to take the entire car apart. Take out the inlet manifold and replace the starter engine.. it even spins the starter when i pull out the start relais in the fusebox.. Fucking Japanese shit Car.

bearbeitet von MilkoLS400

Hi Milko

LS400 is a reliable Car. I really do not know what is the history of your car.

Starter is not really on a nice pace to fix.

As I know the starter has a clutch (a CLUTCH PINION GEAR)  activated with a plunger (Solenoid) If the Plunger is activated he makes contact for the starter-motor.

If your starter clutch does not free up, (Plunger does not go back) your Starter-motor has always power.

Replacing the starter, I assume, takes 4h.

I have no other idea as a bad Plunger.

bearbeitet von Techi-Tom

I know how to fix the starter.. Ill have to take off the inlet manifold.  Its the VVTI version I have. Its a bit more complicated but I think I can do it in 6 hrs.. I did distribution chain and water pump and valve adjustments already when I bought the car. Im good with Mechanics.. But not as talented with electrics when the total schematics are not in my possession. . Ill have to fix the starter first. Its clear what happened. The spring of the solenoid broke and the start relai welded itself.  Just on a critical moment like this its very very inconvenient. I guess with 350K on the counter lexusses are getting more and more problems. This is an other stupid bad luck coincidence.  I hope I can re-use the gasket for the inlet manifold. Waiting on a gasket from affordable usa Price is not an option. The lexus dealer price is not an option as well. They ask about 10X the normal usa Price.. Once I needed camshaft oil seals.. Victor reinz part was $17 for both sides.. Lexus dealer was 126 euro for the same. Lexus dealers are criminals.  Does anyone know a european based provider for lexus parts that are more in the USA price range? Else I hope I can just re-use the old gasket with maybe some help of liquid gasket seal.. Ill have to wait the air suspension repair. First things first. Fix this problem..

Is it just me or are 1995 model ls400 much more reliable?? I have the feeling the 1999 is a bit of a problem model.. It also doesnt feel as strong or direct as the 1995 I had in the past.. I just like the new nose more. But the rest seems to be slightly less quality.. The engine reacts with a bit of a lag due to electronic throttle valve.. The engine is smooth but the old version had more grunt to my memory..b I think if I sort out all problems and the car is a good car again ill try to sell it and go for an older one.. LOL

Ok Done! it was about 3  half days of work but the car runs again. I have an LPG installation on my car. it took a bit longer to get there. Ill continue my search for the air suspension problem now. Ill keep you guys posted.  Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Milko

Because the cabling and the connectors are made in a good quality and the problem does not popped up after an event, I would first check the ground-points for corrosion or bad contact. Clean, check for solid mounting protect this contacts.

Better check this 11 points first.

Or, before you drive crazy, replace the air-suspension with an Air Suspension Conversion Kits.

Hi Tom..

I recently received a third ECU for my car.  Seems that with this Ecu everything just works fine.  I bought it on Ebay in the US. And i didn' t pay much for it. that' s why i tried.

Apparently my own and the replacement ecu i bought are faulty.. I have also read an article about capacitors in lexus ecu's going " poof" ...  Maybe i can fix both old ecus with new capacitors. I mean. the problem is consistent with bad capacitors.. Looks like they cause a short circuit from time to time. I have heard when capacitors go poof this should be the a possible symptom... Maybe im going at this the wrong way for a long time.. The thing is.. I opened my own original ecu.. Cant see anything wrong on the print. Still need to measure the capacitors.. Well.. Now the company that sold me the replacement ecu doesn' t want to pay back the money i have payd for their faulty part.. Idiots. That really pissed me off. Not only i spend 30 hours in the cold trying to fix the problem because of their faulty product. They also refuse to pay back the money.  Payd 250.. they were the only supplier able to react quickly and send the same day..

Thank you for all the good help so far.. I wish it was something that I could have found with your help. You guys are great!

What i wonder.. the 11 earth contacts you refer to.. Why is this relevant? I already checked all the ground connections to the ecu itself. They were all grounded.. Do you mean checking the ground contacts on other end of the cables? 

Cheers..

Hi Milko

Thanks for the Info, and what a happy day your car is running again.

Regard the Ground-Point. I know you measured the cable to the ground which looked ok, but because of the low measure current it could be the ground point is still corroded and has not a nice contact.

Anyway if it works ok and I wish you all the best.

Tom

(Give us a thump-up if you liked our effort)

3 hours ago, Techi-Tom said:

Hi Milko

Thanks for the Info, and what a happy day your car is running again.

Regard the Ground-Point. I know you measured the cable to the ground which looked ok, but because of the low measure current it could be the ground point is still corroded and has not a nice contact.

Anyway if it works ok and I wish you all the best.

Tom

(Give us a thump-up if you liked our effort)

Hej! I will deffinately give a thunbs up.. but. where can i do that? Hahaha.. I cant find the thumbs up button..

vor 15 Stunden schrieb MilkoLS400:

Hej! I will deffinately give a thunbs up.. but. where can i do that? Hahaha.. I cant find the thumbs up button..

Probeer het eens met de groene pijl van omhoog recht ......