Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first Lexus and the anger in the family - Am I alone?

Flavius

Dear Lexus Lovers,

After months and months researching to by my first Lexus, I found a beautiful and full option Lexus 460 from 2007. I made the test drive yesterday and I have to say: what a machine. The best car I ever drove. No comparison with some Audis, BMWs and Mercedes I had in my hands. I was very convinced to buy it...until I told my mother and father in law.

My father in law asked how many HP the car had. When I told 381 HP he just FREAKED OUT big, big time. Started saying that such a car is for dumb, idiot and irrational people. He did not even bother to ask me to see the pictures and videos of the car. Not even bothered to hear why I would buy such a car after researching  every day in the last 3 months to find the best, most reliable and safe car for the budget I have. His "argument" is that buying such a car to commute 70 Km a day to work is ridiculous. I was shocked.

My mother in law was at first mad at him because the words he used against me but afterwards said that such a car does not fit to a well succeed young professional and young father. That such car is for old guys with rolex. Then they said I was just waiting for: that in Germany (yes, we live in Germany although I am not german; they are) having such big cars is bad perceived by others. Like, it is car for guys from third world countries coming to Germany, for pimps, show-offs and so on. That in town people would find very strange and would make thoughts. What would my colleagues at work think  of me. When I asked then what car would "fit" to me, my father in law said it was not his task to tell that (even because he is ignorant in this topid)  and my mothe in law said that a BMW would be way better ignoring the fact that they are money pits.

I was shocked, big, big time and my day was destroyed. It felt like being bashed and considered a low life for choosing for my dream car. Important fact: my wife was totally against having a Lexus mainly because of the fuel consumption, but she was amazed after the test drive. Like, wow!

Sorry for writting such a long and personal case here, but I would really like to listen if you guys also had the same experience. If Lexus is really so bad seen in Europe/Germany and having one is related to bad things, like being a ignorant pimp.

I really don't bother what other thinks of me as long they don't pay my bills. Because I know people buy money pits like BMWs and Mercedes because of status and not because they are good. But boy, oh, boy I was shaked. 

Thanks guys

Hallo, du postest in einem deutschen Forum.

Englisches Lexus Forum - siehe hier:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/48-ls-400-lexus-ls-430-lexus-ls-460-lexus-600h-lexus-500h-club/?_fromLogin=1

PS: Du bist ganz schön mutig, als ersten Lexus, gleich den größten fahren zu wollen. Aber, wenn Geld keine Rolle spielt, wa?

bearbeitet von plexus914

vor einer Stunde schrieb plexus914:

Hallo, du postest in einem deutschen Forum.

Englisches Lexus Forum - siehe hier:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/48-ls-400-lexus-ls-430-lexus-ls-460-lexus-600h-lexus-500h-club/?_fromLogin=1

Oops, Entschuldingug und Danke für den Link

1 hour ago, plexus914 said:

PS: Du bist ganz schön mutig, als ersten Lexus, gleich den größten fahren zu wollen. Aber, wenn Geld keine Rolle spielt, wa?

Naja, wenn Du einen Bus haben möchtest fängst Du auch nicht erst mit einem Zweisitzer an ;-).

Flavius, vielleicht haben Schwiegerpapa und Schwiegermutter einfach nur Angst um ihre Tochter. Nicht jeder, der ein PS starkes Auto kaufen kann besitzt zwangsläufig auch auch die persönliche Reife es verantwortungsvoll zu fahren. Da wir keinen von Euch Vieren kennen, können wir uns kein Urteil darüber erlauben. 

Ansonsten gilt: "I really don't bother what other thinks of me as long they don't pay my bills" :thumbup1:

Gruß

Olli

As long as you can afford it and your wife's ok with it as well - go for it. If the fuel consumption is an issue, chose the LS 600h. Our user @Lexington is selling his in very good condition right now. Check the Car-for-sale-section (Biete Fahrzeug).

The Germans often are extremely envious if someone has a huge expensive looking car. You just should have told your in-laws that you want to get a 10 year old Toyota and they wouldn't even have asked for perfomance numbers. And it would not have been a lie! :biggrin:

A 70 km commute can be stressfull and nerve-wrecking so why not treat yourself with a nice car when you can afford it. Everyone else drives the same boring econo-sh*boxes. Somebody has to make a difference :biggrin:

in the past I am faced with the decision to buy a mercedes or a lexus. one point to get the lexus was for me the lower public image of lexus in german society.

but after I´ve bought the lexus I am wondered how many people say: wow you drive a lexus, for guys who drive a lexus money does not matter and similar sayings!

Buy the car you can afford, your wife supports and that’s fitting to your daily situation. 

Say “thank you” for the good advice from your parents in law and do what you like to do. 

A Lexus LS is not more or less a car that brings people to different opinions than a Mercedes S class oder BMW 7 series. 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Flavius:

...That such car is for old guys with rolex. Then they said I was just waiting for: that in Germany (yes, we live in Germany although I am not german; they are) having such big cars is bad perceived by others. Like, it is car for guys from third world countries coming to Germany, for pimps, show-offs and so on.

Wow, your parents-in-law seem to have a pretty stereotyped kind of thinking, I have to say... This is somewhat common for many Germans, unfortunately, especially for older ones and those from countryside (yes, this is stereotyped thinking too! 😉

Well, honestly, if you like this car and can afford it, why care what they or anybody else say?

P.S.: Seriously wondering how would they afford their daughter to marry a foreigner in first place 😄

vor 2 Stunden schrieb 4komma3:

Naja, wenn Du einen Bus haben möchtest fängst Du auch nicht erst mit einem Zweisitzer an ;-).

Flavius, vielleicht haben Schwiegerpapa und Schwiegermutter einfach nur Angst um ihre Tochter. Nicht jeder, der ein PS starkes Auto kaufen kann besitzt zwangsläufig auch auch die persönliche Reife es verantwortungsvoll zu fahren. Da wir keinen von Euch Vieren kennen, können wir uns kein Urteil darüber erlauben. 

Ansonsten gilt: "I really don't bother what other thinks of me as long they don't pay my bills" :thumbup1:

Gruß

Olli

Ich bin nie unvernünftige gefahren, weil ich schon Leute von meiner Familie auf einen Unfall verloren. Ich respektiere 100% die 380 ps. Dein Motto ist auch mein Lebensphilosophie. 🙂

vor 2 Stunden schrieb a_wizards_war:

As long as you can afford it and your wife's ok with it as well - go for it. If the fuel consumption is an issue, chose the LS 600h. Our user @Lexington is selling his in very good condition right now. Check the Car-for-sale-section (Biete Fahrzeug).

The Germans often are extremely envious if someone has a huge expensive looking car. You just should have told your in-laws that you want to get a 10 year old Toyota and they wouldn't even have asked for perfomance numbers. And it would not have been a lie! :biggrin:

A 70 km commute can be stressfull and nerve-wrecking so why not treat yourself with a nice car when you can afford it. Everyone else drives the same boring econo-sh*boxes. Somebody has to make a difference :biggrin:

I will take a look on the LS 600. Thanks, mate.

I did not know that stuff with being envious. I always thought Germans were very "entspannt" also with such things. But sliwly I realuze that "status" is a really a big deal here. My mother in law told me to avoid to walk around with C&A or Kaufhof bags in case I buy stuff there. According to her "people will look me strange" and I will have a bad image. They are very keen to label people for waht the wear or drive. Very surprised to be honest. Actually I am starting to think that my parents in law have a very low emotional inteligence. Good that I have a strong mentality and don't care. Should told that it was just a 2007 Toyota thou. 😂

vor 52 Minuten schrieb stasiko13:

Wow, your parents-in-law seem to have a pretty stereotyped kind of thinking, I have to say... This is somewhat common for many Germans, unfortunately, especially for older ones and those from countryside (yes, this is stereotyped thinking too! 😉

Well, honestly, if you like this car and can afford it, why care what they or anybody else say?

P.S.: Seriously wondering how would they afford their daughter to marry a foreigner in first place 😄

Haha! Got your point. You are funny. 😂 I do find very silly the way they  think. Maybe it lies in the fact that I am from a huge town outside Germany and they are from a small  town in Germany. When you are raised in a big town, you are like "whatever for what people think about me". But what I am facing now is, sorry for the words, stupidity at its best. What shocked me is that they said that I would look like ridiculous in a Lexus and people would laugh me for my choice. And the worst: that they would also feel also "laughed" in case I park my car in front of their house. Wow! 😬

I do believe that they "respect" me because I am very well succeeded in my profession (don't want sound arrogant on this one). It means, they can brag for others that her daughter is doing well. Very silly and narrow minded.

Funny: their other daughter is also married to a "Ausländer". The chills. The chills! 😂

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Flavius:

[...Actually I am starting to think that my parents in law have a very low emotional inteligence...]

No offense, but the way you described them, lets me think that, too. There's a german saying that goes "über den Tellerrand schauen", which means to think beyond your usual habits and be open minded to try new things. Especially things that not many other people are doing. I think it's part of the Lexus brand. Usually people are convinced after trying out the Lexus, your wife is the best example! :thumbsup:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb a_wizards_war:

No offense, but the way you described them, lets me think that, too. There's a german saying that goes "über den Tellerrand schauen", which means to think beyond your usual habits and be open minded to try new things. Especially things that not many other people are doing. I think it's part of the Lexus brand. Usually people are convinced after trying out the Lexus, your wife is the best example! :thumbsup:

Du hast Recht und hat die Situation gut analysiert. Sie können tatsächlich nicht über den Tellerand schauen. Aber zum Glück bin ich gar nicht so. Wenn ich so wäre, würde ich nie schaffen nach Deutschland zu kommen. Ich liebe diese Land, aber was mir gerade passiert nervt voll. Vor kurz kam eine Tante meiner Frau und hat mit der gleichen Geschichte angefangen (Auto zu groß; das ist ein Senior Auto, aber da du jung bist ist sowie ein Türke-Auto, Spritverbrauch; du musst Umweltfreundlich sein). Eine Sache habe ich gelernt: nie wieder was über mein Leben oder Kaufwünsche teilen. Kannst du es dir vorstellen, wie sie agieren werden, wenn ich mir ein Haus kaufen möchte. Nie wieder.

Umweltfeundlich :biggrin: Wie viele von denen fahren einen Diesel? Wie viele fahren täglich Bus und Bahn oder lassen die Plastiktüten beim Einkauf weg? Lächerlich. Ein Hybrid-LS wäre ein guter Kompromiss, oder ein GS 450h. Auch ein super Auto!
Letztendlich ist es deine Entscheidung und die hat neben deiner Frau niemanden zu interessieren, solange du damit euch nicht in den Ruin treibst. Deren Argumente sind lächerlich. Außerdem, warum sollst du dir erst wenn du ein Rentner bist einen großen Wagen leisten dürfen, wenn du jetzt schon gut verdienst? Solange du nicht täglich 27 mal vorm Cafe oder der Eisdiele rauf- und runterfährst, fällst du damit auch nicht unter die "Prollfraktion".

Ich möchte gar nicht wissen, wie einem solche Verwandtschaft sonst ins Leben pfuschen möchte! :wacko:

My opinion is the same like the one from a_wizards_war.

Lexus has a very good reputation with people who know about cars. Your colleagues will accept it immediately when you tell about the worldbest reliability of the Lexus brand and that you bought the car not new, but used and you did not pay more than for a new middle class car.

The brand Lexus is not a brand used by inserious people, those people prefer the wellknown German upper class brands, often with unserious tuning parts.

And about your age : I am a car guy since my youth and bought my first used V8 when I was 24 years old and not as settled as you seem to be.

Go for a LS and enjoy ist !

RodLex

vor 1 Stunde schrieb a_wizards_war:

Umweltfeundlich :biggrin: Wie viele von denen fahren einen Diesel? Wie viele fahren täglich Bus und Bahn oder lassen die Plastiktüten beim Einkauf weg? Lächerlich. Ein Hybrid-LS wäre ein guter Kompromiss, oder ein GS 450h. Auch ein super Auto!
Letztendlich ist es deine Entscheidung und die hat neben deiner Frau niemanden zu interessieren, solange du damit euch nicht in den Ruin treibst. Deren Argumente sind lächerlich. Außerdem, warum sollst du dir erst wenn du ein Rentner bist einen großen Wagen leisten dürfen, wenn du jetzt schon gut verdienst? Solange du nicht täglich 27 mal vorm Cafe oder der Eisdiele rauf- und runterfährst, fällst du damit auch nicht unter die "Prollfraktion".

Ich möchte gar nicht wissen, wie einem solche Verwandtschaft sonst ins Leben pfuschen möchte! :wacko:

Das stimmt. Die Argumente sind lächerlich! Ich werde es mir gönnen für meine täglich 70 Km Arbeitsweg. Eine wichtige Sache habe ich vergessen. Ich tanke in Luxembourg!   🙂💰

vor einer Stunde schrieb RodLex:

My opinion is the same like the one from a_wizards_war.

Lexus has a very good reputation with people who know about cars. Your colleagues will accept it immediately when you tell about the worldbest reliability of the Lexus brand and that you bought the car not new, but used and you did not pay more than for a new middle class car.

The brand Lexus is not a brand used by inserious people, those people prefer the wellknown German upper class brands, often with unserious tuning parts.

And about your age : I am a car guy since my youth and bought my first used V8 when I was 24 years old and not as settled as you seem to be.

Go for a LS and enjoy ist !

RodLex

Word, mate. We buy the quality, not the brand. I think Lexus owner have one thing in common: we value our money. Those who don't, go for a expensive unreliable German car. You said well: Lexus is not a brand for inserious people. I forgot to mention that I refuel my car in Luxembourg, which way cheaper than in Germany.

I will ignore then and will go for the Lexus. I am sure I will be happy with it. 🙂

Wo liegt denn dein Budget? In Hamburg wird gerade ein LS 460 aus 1. Hand und nur 133tkm für guten Kurs angeboten. Oder, wenn du bisschen farbmutiger bist, der LS 460 in Dresden, ebenfalls 1. Hand und sogar noch etwas weniger gelaufen.... aber da will ich nicht wissen, was deine Schwiegereltern dazu sagen 😁 Kannst ja versuchen, sie mit Schocktherapie zu konfrontieren - kaufst den Beigen, einen dazu passenden goldenen Rolex und fährst bei ihnen vor 😎

vor 14 Minuten schrieb stasiko13:

Wo liegt denn dein Budget? In Hamburg wird gerade ein LS 460 aus 1. Hand und nur 133tkm für guten Kurs angeboten. Oder, wenn du bisschen farbmutiger bist, der LS 460 in Dresden, ebenfalls 1. Hand und sogar noch etwas weniger gelaufen.... aber da will ich nicht wissen, was deine Schwiegereltern dazu sagen 😁 Kannst ja versuchen, sie mit Schocktherapie zu konfrontieren - kaufst den Beigen, einen dazu passenden goldenen Rolex und fährst bei ihnen vor 😎

Kenne ganz gut, die zwei LS, die du meinst. Folge dir Anzeige seite eine paar Wochen. Ich habe aber schon ein wunderschönes nicht weit von mir gefunden. Aber danke sehr für die Aufmerksamkeit! Mein Rolex ist schon in die Schublade und wartet auf das LS 460. 😂😂😂😂

😉

I made the same experience with some colleagues at work. When I was about to sell my Corolla (I was 29) and replace it by a 12 yr old Lexus, they started stoning me with powerful words... You must be so rich! How much money do earn? You are so stupid! Fuel consumption, insurance cost... You could get a 3 yr old Mazda 3 or VW Golf for only 10k€, but instead you're getting yourself such an old, expensive car! and so on... Now, after they have been seeing me happy with my IS300 every single day for the last 3 years, they accept it or at least keep quiet. I still don't care about them.

Lexus is exotic but I made the experience that it's still seen as a luxurious brand for people with a lot of money. That's why I started to tell people, that I'm driving an old Toyota. Little annoying sometimes, but can be fun. But Germans can easily envy your way of living... Foreigners always react like "good choice!" I personally would always prefer a Japanese car rather than a German one. I don't need a status symbol, I got the car because I wanted to have it. For myself, not to show off. But this is my opinion.

My family and friends fortunately never blamed me. If I like it, I should get it. My grandma even asked if it makes sense for her to get a similar model, at the age of 80 :biggrin:  Because she likes the smoothly running and powerful engine.

As many others said before: You and your wife have to be fine with that decision. No one else! If you like it, you should get it! Get it and enjoy driving every single day!

vor 14 Minuten schrieb stasiko13:

Und wäre cool, wenn wir uns auf eine Sprache einigen könnten 😉

Gerne Deutsch. Ich habe die erste Nachricht auf Englisch gepostet, weil ich dachte, das ich auf Lexus UK. Ich war noch erschüttert und verwirrt nach dem "Vorwurf" von meinen Schwiegereltern. 😂😂