Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fragen zum 2012-2014 CT200h bis 90tkm

Kirill-HH

Hello, I live in Hamburg and at the moment drive 2005 Skoda Fabia. I'm now looking for something a bit higher level, nice looking, quite compact but not a boring usual choice like Golf or A1-A3 (just my taste), also having a good handling, being very reliable, without a need to throw in tons of money every year to fix it.
And so far CT200h looks like a really interesting option. I'm also not interested in a race car, if it can drive with 170km/h on Autobahn - that's enough for me.

I don't care much about fuel consumption (unless it's more than 15L per 100km) and I like CT200h not because it's a Hybrid, but because of the original aggressive looks, quality and potential reliability (according to what I've read online), good ride comfort, being unique on the road and having a good feeling of finally getting a decent car 🙂

I have several questions, it would be good if someone can help me out with them.
You can reply in German, I understand most of the stuff, it's just writing complex texts for me is still much easier in English.

1. I use public transportation for a daily commute, thus using a car mainly on a weekends, sometimes might drive only 1-2 times in a month. And in a year I drive about 5-6tkm. Will such driving mode be negative for the car, especially for the Hybrid Drive and battery?

2. If I'll buy a 2012 CT200h with about 90tkm with all services done on time and having "Scheckheftgepflegt" (like this one), how high is the chance that I'll be able to drive it 4-5 years without big issues? Or is 7 years and 90tkm is already too much for this car?

3. Would you recommend buying only directly from the Lexus dealer, or is it okay to buy from other "Händlers" as well? (for example, this and this look like a nice choices) I just want a higher possibility that car is in a good condition, and also having some additional warranty for a used Lexus would be great.

4. On the official Lexus website I see they're offering "Lexus Select Extended Warranty" for the used cars. Is it something worth getting into? I heard that Lexuses are pretty reliable, but if something gets broken, repair costs might be quite expensive.

5. Anyone had experience with Lexus Forum Hamburg, how is the service there? Do they try to rip you off and upsell you unnecessary services, or doing service for the car without proper quality?

6. Does anybody know if it is popular by a car thiefs?

Vielen Dank!

hi Kirill,

welcome 🙂

I'll try to give answers to all your questions you ask, hidden or not 😉

1. no, it doesn't matter if you drive only at weekends or less. we do the same, we use to drive our CT only at weekends to visit the family and for holidays, in all about 6000 km/year. What you will have, is rust on the brake surfaces (hearable, but not dangerous...and will be gone quickliy by using the brakes), and maybe a broken starting battery after 2 or 3 years.

2. if that car has got all!! services by Lexus (check the maintainence sheet), you will have a good chance to drive many years without big issues. But it is absolutely necessary to let make these checks every year or after 15.000 km (what comes first). 7 years is nothing, our CT is from 2011. 90.000 km are not really an issue, the engine will be good for likely 500.000 km (in Germany there are some Prius Taxis on the roads; same engine)

3. if you buy from a Lexus dealer, the price will be a little bit higher, I presume. every dealer has to give 6 months of warranty, but if it is a so called "Sandplatzhändler" or "Fähnchenhändler", what means that they might do not really have good respectabilities, better stay waway from them.

4. yes, replacement parts from all japanese cars are quite expensive, comparing them to parts from european cars.

5. don't know them

6. the most popular cars to steal are SUV. I think to steal a CT is not quite popular.

Hi Kirill,

welcome to the LOC!

First of all, you're about to make the right decision. It reads as if the CT matches your needs perfectly. I don't drive one myself, but try to answer your questions as far as my knowledge about them goes.

1. Hybrids don't like to only stand around that much. It is better for the components to work every now and then. You shouldn't have issues, when you drive only once or twice a week, but if you do, you should make sure to still drive enough for the Hybrid system to regenerate. So one or two relaxing drives a week after work or so should do, that you don't get problems after a while.

2. If the car from the dealership is well maintained and you keep doing that too, you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, you never know, but the chances are high that you get a very reliable runner. Make sure, that the car had the Hybrid check (ask for proof), in addition to the regular inspection (that's the Scheckheft), each year. Then chances are higher, that Lexus covers for costs caused by defects in the Hybrid system, if they should occur.

3. You should be safe buying from a Toyota or any other non-Lexus-dealer, if you follow the advice named under #2, you can still ask for the Lexus used car warranty (it's called "Lexus Select", the first one you linked should have one, for any other car just ask a dealership).

4. Lexus Select warranty as mentioned in #3 has it's price, but just in case you should have issues, you will be happy to have it. That's a decision you have to make. Repair costs and parts, especially for the Hybrid system, can be very expensive.

5. Ask user HH-Eppendorf (can't tag him for some reason). I think he is from the Hamburg Lexus dealership. If you have questions, he sure can help you.

6. As far as I know, Lexus cars are pretty popular stolen cars, but that refers to the RX. NX, GS and maybe the sport models (F) more than the CT. At least that's what I get to read from time to time.

So, keep us updated and good luck for your search!

Moin Leute, thanks a lot for a quick and informative replies.

1. I usually drive not more than once a week (no real need, lots of places are easily accessible by foot or it's easier to take an U-Bahn rather than hunting for the parking spot). But I see that there is a hope that the car will be fine 🙂

2. Yeah, I'm planning to definitely do a necessary service checks every year. Dealer at the Lexus Forum Hamburg told that for CT the normal service costs vary between €300 and €650 (highest price being for 90tkm check) and it's fine because I anyways pay the same for upkeeping my old Fabia 😄
By the way, would you recommend to do service checks at Lexus or Toyota?

3., 4. Would you personally pick Lexus Select Warranty or a regular Gebrauchtwagengarantie? I guess the benefit of Lexus Select is that it covers more parts and the car can be then fixed by Lexus Werkstatt, but the downside is that it's more expensive and in order for this warranty to work I need to do all the service and repairs only at the Lexus Dealer. With a regular Gebrauchtwagengarantie I'll pay less for it, it will still cover most important parts and I will not be bound only to the Lexus Dealer for service and repairs.
Or did I get it completely wrong?

Also it's sad that there are not that many used CTs on a market and very few near Hamburg.
So I guess it will take some time to find a decent one.
But I'm not in a hurry anyways.

bearbeitet von Kirill-HH

moin Kirill,

2. i guess tit's highly likely hat there is no need to visit a garage between the yearly service checks. the work to keep the condition of a Lexus is almost done then.

you can go to a Toyota garage, but they have no permission to do the Hybrid check! on the other hand you will spend less. The difference could be go up to 20 €/h for the manpower.

3.+4. I never had or actually have a special warranty or any kind of an additional warranty. during the first 6 months after the buy the dealer has to repair almost everything for free, its the legal warranty, called "Gewährleistung".

bearbeitet von Bert B.

Cool, thanks, I researched about "Gewährleistung" and now I understand that it's not the same as warranty.

I'll have to figure out for myself if having 1-2-3 years of warranty will make sense for me.

if an additional warranty will make sense or not, depends also on the amount you have to pay for it, and what the insurance company will pay in a case of an issue.

likely they pay between 40-60 % of the material and a part of the work.

Yep. As I was told in the Lexus Forum Hamburg, the Lexus Select warranty covers 100% of materials and work (if the broken part is under warranty of course) and will cost about 1200eur for 3 years. Which doesn't seem that particularly expensive considering how much the repair will cost if something serious will get broken.

And they told that there is also some regular "Gebrauchtwagengarantie" which costs about 150eur per year, covers less parts than Lexus Select, covers 100% of work and for every 10tkm over 50tkm I'll have to pay 10% for materials.

By the way, I saw that ground clearance (or another term "ride height") is only about 13-14mm in CT200h. Isn't it too small for the city? Is it enough to ride over "Kantstein" when parking?

don't worry, it's the regular height. btw: what is the clearance of your actual car? I presume the clearance will be not far away from 15 cm 😉

and if you like to "climb" the Kantstein, the wheel is the first part of the car that hits it and "lift" the rest of the car....so no problem

It's funny, but in the technical specification docs for my Fabia I couldn't find data for ground clearance. Searching online I found different numbers between 14 and 15 cm.

But I always had a feeling that it has a higher clearance, so I measured it today, and saw that tip of the front and rear bumpers is 20 cm above the ground. I understand that somewhere underneath the car there are lower points, but at least the bumpers can easily go above the Kantstein. This is especially helpful when you drive over the Kantstein not from the side, but at 90 degrees - in this case the wheel meets the Kantstein only after the bumper is above it.

I saw that CTs have different models with 15-16-17 inch wheels, different suspension and different bumpers, so I guess for me it will be better to measure ground clearance for bumpers when test driving a particular car.

What you have to look or ask for are these:  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Böschung#Böschungswinkel_bei_Fahrzeugen

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampenwinkel

Thanks, I never heard those German words 🙂

Actually I was recently on a test drive of CT and measured ground clearance. So tips of the front and rear bumpers are also about 20cm above the ground, which is good, so I'm calm about that now.

Interestingly, there are not a lot of decent options on the market, and even less available at the official Lexus Dealers.

Would it be still a sane idea to buy used CT from Toyota shop and get a 2 year regular Gebrauchtwagengarantie?