Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 LS400 wont start

MilkoLS400

3 hours ago, Techi-Tom said:

Hi Milko

Uff, this belt looks horrible. But.. is it snapped?

If you turn the crankshaft pulley (a bit, with no force and removed Sparkplugs ) does the belt (check in the gap where you made the photo) move? If ithe belt move he is not snapped, if you are lucky it just jumped and the timing ist wrong)

Anyway you have to replace the belt, then you can check the correct timing and compression.

The only way to check if the engine is damaged is to make a compression-test. (After replace the timing belt) Or, for a basic test with an endoscope via the Sparkplug port.

The third (last) option is to remove the heads.

All needed Information how to replace the belt and do the compression test are available on the net:

https://lexus-doc.ru/RepairManual1999.php

Good luck

Techi-Tom

Hi Tom.. This belt is totally loose.. Some people think it might be the tensioner failed..  I would be surprized if it did. i changed it as part of the set back in the day.  Just a cluster fuck this engine of mine 😉 The car will go. Ill get 250 euros for it and will drive cheap shit untill I can afford a Lexus again.   Thanx for the help though 😉 Whenever I find one again you will probably sooner or later find me here again with some malfunctioning electrical system 😜

bearbeitet von MilkoLS400

Am 13.12.2020 um 22:34 schrieb MilkoLS400:

I have a problem that i cant really seem to find. Yesterday I drove My car after picking up my brother. Just around the corner the cars engine suddenly died and stopped. No weird noises or whatever. It happened to me before when the car changed to LPG setting after beeing warmed up. In that case I was always able to start again after putting it in park. This time it just wont run again. A few things stand out: it started quick and happy just 1 minute before it died. I drove 350 meters and it died. Since then starting also feels kind of slow. The starter turns over the engine but it simply turns it over slow. Almost like its having a hard time to get round.. An other thing is the battery voltage drops to 10Volts when starting.. Even when I connect an other car with jump leads and running engine to my battery the voltage drop is quite noticeable and drops to around 10 volts. What can cause the engine to turn round more heavily all of a sudden? i didnt hear any rattling noises or mechanical knocking sounds when starting or driving. Can a battery suddenly get so bad that the engine would die from it? Even though when its not running i measure around 12.2 volts. (i started quite alot) I smell gasoline in the intake manifold. I think injectors are working fine. The starter engine is quite new. I replaced it 3 years ago. It always started fast and since the engine died while running i doubt it has anything to do with the problem.  Distribution belt  should still have 20.000 Km to go before recommended change.  I checked all fuses and relais. Fuel pump relais is functional when manually connected to a battery. it opens up when coil is powered.  However when starting I measure 10 volts on the relais coil when I pull out the relais. The relais housing broke and when I look inside the fuel pump relais it is not switching. Also with the fuel relais installed the relais does not break contact when starting. i see no movement on the contact. I think that is weird since I measure a 10V on moment of cranking when the relais is pulled out.. It should open up the relais. The relais coil is still 70 ohm so quite normal.  Meaning that the fuel pump relais is not being opened by the measured 10 Volt.  I see when the relais is installed I do not measure the 10V at all. The relais coil drains all the power from the supply.  I thought these details are quite strange. Ca it be a matter of leaking caps in the ECU? or an other problem maybe?   What should I check next?

Ich habe gerade vor kurzem an meinem LS400 von 1998 den Regler, die Kohlen und die Diodenbrücke des Generators getauscht, läuft wieder einwandfrei. Bei drehendem Motor muß an der Batterie eine Spannung von 13,5V oder mehr zu messen sein. 

Ich habe seinerzeit diese Teile in ebay gekauft 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254493837832

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254506430451

https://www.ebay.de/itm/264654743679