Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter / Snow tyres

sami_remote

Do I really need snow chains? I have been going to the destination for several years and have rented cars in the past which already have winter tyres and I have never used chains.
It depends on the routes you take.

There are streets in the Apls where snow chains are required in winter (just to have them, for that rare case when you need them).

Thats why most of the rental cars in the Apls should have snow chains (somewhere in the trunk).

If you know your route and if you are shure that it's no risk without... why do you ask?

Just think about it, if you are there, on the street, in that rare case when you would need them, blocking the street because you have none, the driver of the car behind you (with snow chains) will tell you... :clap:

... on the other side, if you have them and the man in front of you is the asshole without, you will not feel much better :thumbup:

• Antworten 53
  • Created
  • Letzte Antwort

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

One last question (I promise!).

Do I really need snow chains? I have been going to the destination for several years and have rented cars in the past which already have winter tyres and I have never used chains.

I've asked a couple of friends and some say it is essential and some say that I don't need it unless I am doing some serious off-road (which I am not)

What do you think? When do people use snow chains?

Thanks,

Sami

the problem is that if you need them and you do not have them then you are in serious trubles.

most likly you will never need snow chains in snowy road conditions with a 4 weel drive car and an experianced driver. but based on my experiance (i live in the mountains about 800 meters above sea level) you often need snow chains when there is ice on the street in up- or downhill situations.

and some times in high alps, when conditions are realy bad, police is closing roads for cars not having snow chains mounted in order to avoid road blocking by stucked cars.

so my advice is to carry snow chains for the winter!

any way please drive carefully and enjoi winter and snow in the mountains!

regards

williz

Could someone give me some tips of when snow chains are supposed to be used? I know someone mentioned that in certain areas there will be road signs.

But are there any circumstances when I would want to use chains because of certain conditions on the road?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sami