Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to fit FIGS brake upgrade for IS200/Supra Discs...

Started off with stock calipers, on stock brackets, on stock discs, like this...

DSC00226.jpg

First step is to undo the slide pin bolts using a 14mm spanner on the back, and a 17mm on the pin itself to stop it rotating. You may not need the 17mm spanner, but if you plan to re-use the dust boots it's better to use it anyway or you risk tearing them...

undopintop.jpg

undopinbottom.jpg

Then put the caliper out of the way on an axle stand for now...

support.jpg

Once they are off, you can remove the caliper brackets. This is super easy as all you have to do is undo the two 17mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the hub.

With the old bracket off, you can start assembling the new brackets, the first thing I did was to press the new dust boots in. Simply slot a socket over the top of the rubber boot so it rests on the metal collar, and either tap it in with a hammer, or squeeze it in with a vice like I did...

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

I then removed the slide pins, changed the rubber bush on the pin, greased it up and put it into the corresponding hole on the new bracket (make sure they go in the right hole as they are different!)

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

I then removed, and refitted the pad retaining/slide clips into the new brackets and greased them up too...

DSC00235.jpg

Next job was the dust shields, most people just cut these off completely. But being an engineer that seemed too simple, plus I wanted to keep the cooling effects of the air duct at the front of the shield. You can also just bend them back out of the way but that seemed too ghetto and again, too easy.

So I put slots all the way along the sections of the dust shield which overhang the top and bottom of the old disc like this...

DSC00231.jpg

I then bent them upwards, chopped them off and smoothed off the edge so I was now left with this perfectly fitting and still fully functioning air duct/dust shield...

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

With the discs now able to fit properly and the mounting hardware transferred onto the new brackets I slid the discs on, put the new pads into the brackets and remounted them over the disc onto the hub...

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

The only job left then was to press the pistons back into the calipers and bolt them back onto the brackets, forget to take a picture of them without the wheel, and then have to take a crappy picture through a very dirty wheel...

DSC00238.jpg

I've only put about 20 miles through them so far but I'm already finding myself stopping short at junctions and slowing down too much coming into corners, so I can't wait to see how they perform once they are properly bedded in!

And just for comparison so you can see the difference in size between the old and new here's a gif I made to show the two sizes...

DSC00239-1.gif

The benefits are because the disc is bigger, you get more braking power. And less pad wear during normal driving.

The force (torque) is directly proportional to the increase in size (radius.) t = F x R

So since the force is equal (same caliper, same piston cross section) the increase in torque is directly the increase in radius.

So 1" on top of 11.7" is an 8% increase in potential braking force. Add in the metalurgical differences of the alloyed rotors and the improved thermal charateristics and I would throw another 5-10% given my experience with the two peice rotors I am running.

Lexus IS 200/300 Bremsscheiben haben einen durchmesser von 296mm. Supra Bremscheiben 323mm. Um den tatsächlichen Verlust auszurechnen müssten man die unbenutzte Fläche ausmessen und von den 323mm subtrahieren.

@Sprinter2012 can you measure the "unused" area to be sure, whether there is a difference between OEM and Supra discs?

@Lex9999 man muss sich auch im Klaren sein, dass ein "richtiger" Supra TT Brakes Upgrade bis zu 1200€ (Nur die VA) kosten kann. Dafür bekommt man schon K-Sport/D2 Bremsanlagen.

Zu den Supra Sättel muss man auch sagen, dass sie zwar mehr Bremsleistung bieten, dafür aber auch deutlich mehr wiegen.

Die FIGS brauchst du nur, wenn du nen TT oder LS Sattel an die IS Aufhängung machen willst, da die Löcher minimal anders sind als beim originalen Sattel. Hier wird nur der Sattel weiter nach aussen montiert damit die größere Scheibe reinpasst :)

You do not need to subtract measurements to calculate force between the different discs. Because the adapters put the pad on the outside of the disc, you only use the part with the strongest force.

So because the pad area stays the same, you can use the equation posted above to work it out. (this was information provided by the owner of FIGS, who designed the brackets)

The trouble is, people who are not good at maths think that you can only increase power by making everything bigger.

But if you understand maths and science then you will know that these brackets will give a good improvement for a lot less money. And I know this because I have a set on my car and they work great!

Also, if you use Supra calipers then you will make the brake balance wrong and will lock up the front wheels easily, dangerous in winter and in wet conditions...

die bremsleistung sollte sich den noch verbessern, durch die größeren scheiben hat man einen größeren hebel.

aber eins habe ich nicht verstanden, wo sind die figs adapter?

So die Theorie. In der Praxis siehst du aber bei den Figs Sätteln bzw. bei den Scheiben eine ungenutzte Fläche. Sollte diese mehr als 20mm sein, ist die Mod. fürn Arsch, da du im Endeffekt die 296mm nach wie vor hast. Obwohl selbst wenn eine ungenutzte Fläche vorhanden ist, kann die Mod. mehr Energie aufnehmen, da größere Bremsscheibe=Fläche, auf der sich die Wärme verteilen kann.

bearbeitet von eies300

The FIGS brackets for the Supra discs are here, which is a whole new bracket for the caliper. You get lots for your money...

DSC_0177.jpg

But to fit Supra calipers, you have to spend over 100EUR for these tiny little bits...

IS300TTBRAKE-400x400.jpg

bearbeitet von Sprinter2012

So die Theorie. In der Praxis siehst du aber bei den Figs Sätteln bzw. bei den Scheiben eine ungenutzte Fläche. Sollte diese mehr als 20mm sein, ist die Mod. fürn Arsch, da du im Endeffekt die 296mm nach wie vor hast.

You are wrong, because the caliper is mounted on the outside of the disc, you use the 323mm part. The bit on the inside gives the smallest force, and that is the bit you do not use.

You are wrong, because the caliper is mounted on the outside of the disc, you use the 323mm part. The bit on the inside gives the smallest force, and that is the bit you do not use.

:light: Ok, I understand it. Even if not the 323mm can absorb more thermal energy.

bearbeitet von eies300

:light: Ok, I understand it. Even if not the 323mm can absorb more thermal energy.

This is another good point, you get much less brake fade when doing lots of braking because the discs can cool down faster and soak up more heat :)

Here you go, this chart shows how much area the pads will contact with the different options. I have included the Supra pads and discs to be a fair comparison.

As you can see, the FIGS brackets with Supra discs are 9.14% bigger than OEM, and the Supra calipers with Supra discs are 13.93% bigger than the FIGS option.

FIGSComparison-1.jpg

EDIT: And here is the forumla I created to calculate the surface area

=((3.142*((C6/2)^2))-(3.142*((C7/2)^2)))/100

bearbeitet von Sprinter2012