Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

US Lexus RX400h homologation in Austria

Anton

Dear all,

Does anyone knows what are the changes to be made for adapting the brand new US RX400h to Austrian requirements?

I have a chance to import the car tax free from US and homologation requirements in Austria is an unclear area. Some sources refer to around EUR 1800 paid for that in the Netherlands. However, Austrian TUV says they need to see the car first to make any judgement :unsure: .

Thanks,

Anton

Hi Anton,

I don't know details regarding the Austrian requirements but I think I saw a few postings

in this forum which clearly state that there are severe problems with the use of the US navigation

system in Europe, as the road data discs seem to be not compatible with the US firmware.

Probably that's intentionally to set up some hurdles for customers doing what you want to do,

as the price difference is really incredible.

There are probably some other differences, like a more soft suspension system and the satellite

radio system they have in the US.

So my advise is, check for all technical differences between the US and the European versions

besides the legal regulations, which might cause some disappointment. I also think that the

RXs for the US are manufactured in Ontario/Cananda while the European ones come from Japan.

Warranty issues might also arise if you bring it over, as the longer warranty periods in the US are

based on a different driving behaviour, so you should check what happens to your Lexus warranty.

Good luck on saving probably around 20T¤ if it works out!

Anton,

With most of the small things like indicators etc you should have no problem getting them changed.

I am not sure if the US Version only has miles on the speedometer.

The biggest issue I see is the US Navigation system. I think it is regionally coded. Also the Radio wont work 100% correctly here as they have different steps between the frequencies. Satellite Radio definatly wont work anywhere in Europa since the satellite beam only covers north America.

For the Nav/Radio the best idea might be to sell the complete head unit in the states and buy yourself a european version with the money.

regards

Don

Hello Anton,

Unless you can have the vehicle at a VERY attractive price, I would leave it. There are a lot of differences between the US/CAN and EU RX400h's, and your local Lexus dealer might have trouble helping you, if anything goes wrong. The rules regarding registration of non-conform vehicles have recently been made much tougher, which practically makes it next to impossible to register a non-EU vehicle in the EU (at least for a private person).

Besides the already mentioned radio and NAV incompatibility, you will have to change ALL lights for E-marked units (that means headlights, foglights, rear lights and fitting the side indicators in the front (the wiring for those may not even be there in the US version)), there's a probability that you will have to change the window glass too, if the markings are not in conformity with ECE - and of course you'll be required to run a complete emissions test procedure in order to benefit from the same advantages that an EU-spec RX400h has.

All this will cost you time and money in huge quantities, you have NO warranty on the vehicle - and when that day comes, the vehicle will be extremely hard to sell. Another thing, though of less improtance in Austria: The US/CAN RX400h's are speed limited at 112 mph/180 kph - so the German Autobahn driving may be less fun too.

Sorry to be so negative about this, but as I work in the field of automotive legislation I would prefer to save you from getting into a mess.

On the other hand, if you have a possibility (diplomatic or military status) to do only a temporary importation of the vehicle, matters change - then you just run it for the period you're here in its original state, re-export it and that's it. But from your post this does unfortunately not seem to be the case.

Besides the already mentioned radio and NAV incompatibility, you will have to change ALL lights for E-marked units (that means headlights, foglights, rear lights and fitting the side indicators in the front (the wiring for those may not even be there in the US version)), there's a probability that you will have to change the window glass too, if the markings are not in conformity with ECE - and of course you'll be required to run a complete emissions test procedure in order to benefit from the same advantages that an EU-spec RX400h has.

OK, I am not sure about Austria, but this does NOT apply to Germany any more and I think the ruling is for all the EU.

Lights etc do NOT have to be changed on a US import car anymore and don't need an "E" mark. There is some paragraph in the import documents that just says "or similar". I know this as a fact because a friend of mine has just imported a Mustang.

So, if it does apply for Austria, it may be easier to import it via Germany (I doubt it would be "shipped" to Austria directly anyway <_< ) and once it has German papers, you should have no problems bringing it to Austria.

But as krouebi said, it would need to be cheap to make it worth while.

regards

Don

Don,

thanks for your input. Unfortunately you can't draw a parallel to your friend's importing a Mustang. Vehicles like that are type approved on an individual, national basis - and as there are no E-marked equivalent, the changing of lights is dispensed with. In the case of a vehicle like the RX400h, where E-marked parts do exist, the owner will very likely be required to fit E-marked parts wherever possible. This is also the case when you re-import vehicles produced in Europe, but sold in the US, like VW Touaregs, Porsche Cayennes etc. However, this varies from Member State to Member State, and even within the same Member State the application of the rules may vary.

A vehicle that has been type-approved on an individual, national basis in one Member State is not automatically entitled to a type approval in another Member State. This is left to the discretion of the authorities in that Member State. And as we all know, they may be rather tough.

General rules on vehicles (in German) (in English)

More specific rules regarding lighting (in German) (in English)

Anton - this may be a far-fetched idea. But have you considered moving to Switzerland? Not being in the EU, they have much easier rules on "exotic" vehicles :)

• 4 months later...

Hello Krouebi,

I'm also planning to import a rx400h lexus from us to Switzerland due to price difference and low USD exchange rate versus CHF

It seem that you have a good knowledge about needed requirment to be able to do it.

Could you please provide me with the swiss rules or the modification I would have to do to make my us car fulfill swiss regulation.

I try to get detailled information trough the swiss importer but they just advise me to sell my car in the US and to buy a new one by them :-)

Thanks for your answer

Cheers

Hi Joballe,

Thanks for the (unmerited) compliment.

I do not know exactly what's involved in importing a vehicle from the US into CH, but even though it seems to be simpler than importing US>EU, there are still some things to consider and possibly change for EUR units: Radio/navigation, speedometer (although even the US speedo has a KPH indication). Have a look in the yellow pages - the people that are bringing in Toyota Camy Hybrids might help you further (check CASH.TV of 20th of April) as to what exactly is required in CH.

The radio because a US radio will only operate at "odd" frequencies: 90.1, 90.3, 90.5, and will probably not react to European RDS codes. But if there are no "even"-frequencied radio stations in your area, then it's no problem either. The NAV system is another matter: It's VERY expensive to swap - my best advice would be to try to get a US vehicle without the navigation system and then put in an add-on system of your choice. Of course this is "silly" in such an expensive vehicle, but well - the other solution is to get one with the NAV and then never use it. In that way you'll at least have the big 7" screen for the energy display.

Please note: I'm not in any kind an expert on these matters and not involved in import/export of vehicles. I do play a (very minor, but not ignorable) part in the EU legislative process regarding, among many other things, motor vehicles.

Good luck with your further investigation in this matter - please come back for more questions if needed. I'll answer as best I can :rolleyes: .

..., and your local Lexus dealer might have trouble helping you,...

From what I have heard, the local Lexus dealer are not very helpful when it comes to importing a car.

At least that is what I heard about Toyota/Lexus Frey :rolleyes:

Honestly, why should a Lexus dealer be helpfull to someone bypassing their revenue and margins?

There is nothing to win for them and a lot to loose. Would I support? Not in an easy way! Just what's needed not to completly ruin the reputation of the Lexus brand.

And never forget. An US import has no support on warranty neither from the dealer nor from the local Lexus organization.

bearbeitet von lex-golf

leute ihr fallt auf jeden sch.... rein. da melden sich 2 "owner" an und bringen je EINEN post zustande und ihr helft den leuten auch noch. kann sich nicht einer mal den aufwand HIER sparen und sich stattdessen im mercedes-forum anmelden und dort posten, ob ihm jemand helfen kann eine m-klasse zu importieren weil der dollar-kurs gerade so billig ist??? :rolleyes:

Hallo da,

worum geht eigentlich die große Aufregung?? Das auf solche Anfragen geantwortet wird - oder das dies, wie's sich anständigerweise in ein Forum, das "Europe" in sein Banner führt gehört, soweit möglich in der selben Sprache als die Anfrage gemacht wird?? Wenn dieses Forum, wie es vom obenstehenden Beitrag von "test" angedeutet, ein rein DEUTSCHsprachiges Forum sei, dann sollte dies deutlicher gekennzeichnet werden, damit Ausländer sofort sehen, daß sie hier nichts zu tun haben.

Ich finde es geradezu bezäubernd daß die Verfasser der letzten drei Beiträge sich so liebevoll um den Einkommen ihrer lokalen Lexus-Händler kümmern - dann aber bitte nicht meckern, wenn euch irgend etwas nicht paßt, denn das konnte ggf. auch den Gewinn der Händler mindern.

Ich glaube schon daß die beiden Fragesteller bewußt sind, das bei solche "Grauimporte" nicht den selben Garantie-Ansprüchen verlangt werden können als bei den "blaugestempelten" - das geht auch von der in mein obenstehender Beitrag erwähnten "CASH"-Sendung hervor.

Der "Beratung" bleibt eigentlich gleich, ob's sich um ein RX400h oder einen Mercedes ML/GL handelt - ich sehe nur unklar die Begründung von was in den Beitrag von "test" geschrieben worden ist.

Ich finde es geradezu bezäubernd daß die Verfasser der letzten drei Beiträge sich so liebevoll um den Einkommen ihrer lokalen Lexus-Händler kümmern - dann aber bitte nicht meckern, wenn euch irgend etwas nicht paßt, denn das konnte ggf. auch den Gewinn der Händler mindern.

Die letzten 3? Wenn ich richtig zaehle, bin ich auch gemeint. :(

Dazu sage ich nur:"Bitte meinen Beitrag nochmals genau lesen und den Smily am Schluss genauer betrachten."

Das Einkommen meiner lokalen Lexus-Haendler ist mir genauso wichtig, wie wenn ein Fahrrad in China umfaellt.

Was ich eigentlich zum Ausdruck bringen wollte ist, dass ich es ziemlich :( finde, dass der Generalimpoteur keine grosse Hilfe ist, wenn man privat ein Auto importieren will. KarlSC400 weiss wovon ich spreche.

Ich kann durchaus verstehen, wenn sie sich bei Modellen, die es auch hier zu erwerben gibt, quer legen.

Aber dass sie sich auch bei Modellen, die hier nicht erhaeltlich sind/waren, weigern zu helfen ist mir unverstaendlich.

Denn wenn das Fahrzeug mal hier ist, bedeutet das, dass sie einen weiteren Kunden (Service, Ersatzteile, etc.) haben.

@Joballe

Do you speak german , If yes, it would make the conversation much easier.

Bei den neuen Modellen langts die EU DVD rein zu kippen dann läuft das Navi.

Wie es beim Lexus RX ist weiss ich nicht. Ich weiss aber anderes Thema das in der Schweiz einige Lexushändler selber die 4x4 Versionen von IS GS und Co importieren.

Gruss

Cerberus

Das ist genau der Punkt. Modelle die nicht vom lokalen Importeur unterstützt werden öffnen eine Chance für die Händler. Modelle die im offiziellen Programm sind schaden.

• 1 month later...
Hello Krouebi,

I'm also planning to import a rx400h lexus from us to Switzerland due to price difference and low USD exchange rate versus CHF

It seem that you have a good knowledge about needed requirment to be able to do it.

Could you please provide me with the swiss rules or the modification I would have to do to make my us car fulfill swiss regulation.

I try to get detailled information trough the swiss importer but they just advise me to sell my car in the US and to buy a new one by them :-)

Thanks for your answer

Cheers

bearbeitet von whac

• 3 weeks later...
Die letzten 3? Wenn ich richtig zaehle, bin ich auch gemeint. ;)

Dazu sage ich nur:"Bitte meinen Beitrag nochmals genau lesen und den Smily am Schluss genauer betrachten."

Das Einkommen meiner lokalen Lexus-Haendler ist mir genauso wichtig, wie wenn ein Fahrrad in China umfaellt.

Was ich eigentlich zum Ausdruck bringen wollte ist, dass ich es ziemlich :thumbup: finde, dass der Generalimpoteur keine grosse Hilfe ist, wenn man privat ein Auto importieren will. KarlSC400 weiss wovon ich spreche.

Ich kann durchaus verstehen, wenn sie sich bei Modellen, die es auch hier zu erwerben gibt, quer legen.

Aber dass sie sich auch bei Modellen, die hier nicht erhaeltlich sind/waren, weigern zu helfen ist mir unverstaendlich.

Denn wenn das Fahrzeug mal hier ist, bedeutet das, dass sie einen weiteren Kunden (Service, Ersatzteile, etc.) haben.

Nun, es ist doch verständlich und wie ich finde auch legitim, wenn der Händler nicht begeistert von Importen ist. Wo will man da die Grenze ziehen? Aus welchem Land ist der Import genehm und wird unterstütz und aus welchem Land ist dem nicht so?? Ärger ist hier vorprogrammiert und das Verständniss der betroffenen Personen oftmals nicht so gross wie es sich gebühren würde.

Das Personal kostet Geld.

Das Gebäude kostet Geld.

Die Werkstatt kostet Geld.

Das Spezialwerkzeug kostet Geld

Die Schulungen der Mitarbeiter kostet Geld.

Strom, Heizung, Telefon und der Kaffee, der gern genommen wird, kostet Geld.

Dieses Geld mus erwirtschaftet werden! Ja, man höre und staune, auch über den Verkauf!!!!!! Wenn ein Händler damit KEIN Geld verdient, wird über kurz oder lang keiner mehr bereit sein, Lexus Fahrzeuge zu verkaufen und/oder zu warten. Zumindest nicht mit geschultem Personal.

Wer arbeitet denn hier für Gottes Lohn???????

Zudem, wenn das Ersatzteil für das Importfahrzeug bestelt werden muss und dann, aus welchen Gründen auch immer, eine lange Zeit braucht um geliefert zu werden, heisst es schnell Lexus bzw. der Händler sind unfähig. Warum sollte sich ein Händler so etwas antun respektive diese Vorhaben noch unterstützen?

Bitte auch mal über den Tellerrand hinaus schauen.

Dieses Geld mus erwirtschaftet werden! Ja, man höre und staune, auch über den Verkauf!!!!!!

Stimmt, aber ist nicht der Neuwagenverkauf mittlerweile der unwirtschaftlichste Teil eines Autohauses? Verdient wird doch fast nur noch mit Zubehör, E-Teilen und Reparaturen.

Stimmt, aber ist nicht der Neuwagenverkauf mittlerweile der unwirtschaftlichste Teil eines Autohauses? Verdient wird doch fast nur noch mit Zubehör, E-Teilen und Reparaturen.

Das ist sicher nicht falsch, aber trotzdem bleibt es eine Mischkalkulation. Hier muß auch der Verkauf mit einbezogen werden. Wenn der Verkauf dann so weit hinterher hinkt, das die "anderen Abteilungen" eigentlich nur noch die Löcher stopfen müssen, die der Verkauf aufreisst, wird jeder Unternehmer früher oder später die Notbremse ziehen.

Machen wir eine einfache Rechnung auf.

Du besitzt 3 Mietshäuser. Das erste macht Gewinn. Das zweite macht Gewinn, ist aber an das dritte gekoppelt (z.B. gleiches Grundstück) welches mehr Verlust macht, als das zweite abwirft. Jeder Unternehmer wird dann das zweite UND das dritte abstoßen. Gleiches Geld weniger Sorgen und weniger Arbeit.

Da ich persönlich keinen Lexus-Händler kenne, der nicht auch Toyota hat, ist der o.g. Vergleich sicher nicht praxisfremd.

bearbeitet von richard-lee